I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- take-a-picturee likes this
- prayforjahar reblogged this from perfect
- pricelesszest likes this
- firelightwaltz likes this
- charliefrances likes this
- twoxheartedxdream likes this
- messierthanyou likes this
- fangirlcommunitycenter likes this
- thegreatfires likes this
- bananaleaves reblogged this from tacos
- silenticyriver reblogged this from sungmee
- awannabebadbitch likes this
- i-n-t-h-e-w-o-m-b likes this
- luvmei likes this
- sarianas-trench reblogged this from with-those-stars-in-her-eyes
- alexis396 likes this
- ilikewolves-okay likes this
- ilikewolves-okay reblogged this from i-l0ve-you-5
- runrunalong reblogged this from wh0careswhatothersthink
- i-l0ve-you-5 reblogged this from with-those-stars-in-her-eyes
- chrissy-bissy likes this
- thesonofwolves likes this
- minbu likes this
- thecheerybiscuit reblogged this from stronglittleflower
- staysanebabe reblogged this from danc1ngintherain
- dayvidgee likes this
- alivianaomi likes this
- pl-ass-tic likes this
- tossah likes this
- collectmywill likes this
- roslabhras likes this
- andillbeyoureprincess likes this
- udee likes this
- lovefromthebeastbelow reblogged this from failegaidin
- adachimerica likes this
- u-r-l-m-s-o-c-c-e-r reblogged this from with-those-stars-in-her-eyes
- sepiaru reblogged this from prettyboringirl
- wh0careswhatothersthink reblogged this from simalicious1703
- failegaidin reblogged this from eathealthygethealthy
- failegaidin likes this
- kafuckingboom likes this
- justlivinituppp likes this
- simalicious1703 reblogged this from with-those-stars-in-her-eyes
- singing-that-song reblogged this from with-those-stars-in-her-eyes
- with-those-stars-in-her-eyes reblogged this from narcoticlullaby
- with-those-stars-in-her-eyes likes this
- narcoticlullaby reblogged this from caffeinated-rainbow-sperm
- myfairprat reblogged this from caffeinated-rainbow-sperm
- myfairprat likes this
- caffeinated-rainbow-sperm reblogged this from valleyofmelatonia