I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- nonace likes this
- stephintothebadside reblogged this from maggies-farm
- maggies-farm reblogged this from brurie
- hannahc123 likes this
- bittersweetguesses likes this
- glassbulbghost likes this
- theawkwardspacebetween likes this
- myerectionshowswhoiaminside likes this
- myerectionshowswhoiaminside reblogged this from withthelostboys
- creepyclosetcat reblogged this from washlaflaw2
- murderous-girl-maru likes this
- washlaflaw2 reblogged this from kacpage
- weight-l3ss reblogged this from kacpage
- kacpage reblogged this from coolamari
- coolamari reblogged this from theyellowbrickroad
- vydamaria likes this
- anana19 reblogged this from tonrar
- tonrar reblogged this from champagnebabi
- champagnebabi reblogged this from ceos-n-hoes
- largerhalf likes this
- spunsugarandstormclouds likes this
- samandrielsweetheart likes this
- samandrielsweetheart reblogged this from greenurr
- greenurr reblogged this from canyourscienceexplainwhyitrains
- towardsagentlerworld likes this
- utopiamatter reblogged this from pinacoladaqueen
- paleglow likes this
- diariesofaglaswegianoddity reblogged this from xvoyage34x
- klkblake likes this
- yourenotfab likes this
- beth-matthews reblogged this from michaelblume
- cent-mille-autres-renards reblogged this from imguiltyofthis
- barrowqueenston reblogged this from dametaykeefe
- adafuckface reblogged this from michaelblume
- thepokeduck likes this
- itsjacobigotthis likes this
- itsjacobigotthis reblogged this from althor42
- imtotallymyself reblogged this from andreashettle
- inquisitivefeminist likes this
- daniel-r-h likes this
- chroniclesofrettek reblogged this from michaelblume
- ellenthefox reblogged this from andreashettle
- ellenthefox likes this
- lexi-sedai reblogged this from althor42
- moriment likes this
- althor42 reblogged this from michaelblume
- andreashettle reblogged this from clatterbane
- monsterrtruck likes this
- waywardhive reblogged this from michaelblume