I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- queridacariad likes this
- xlibraryqueenx likes this
- its-fo-free reblogged this from serfbort-serfbort
- hunterhayes-lights-me-up reblogged this from dancingonmy-ownn
- dancingonmy-ownn reblogged this from withdaisiesinyourhair
- thoughts-with-fire reblogged this from brainpickings
- thoughts-with-fire likes this
- greyhoundtickets likes this
- technicolournightingail reblogged this from shesaunteredvaguelydownwards
- superpredictable reblogged this from snkrfnd
- superpredictable likes this
- wheezelys likes this
- skaro234 likes this
- harrypotterforever1fan reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- harrypotterforever1fan likes this
- nomchimpsky reblogged this from wheezelys
- plasticchic reblogged this from justwhitesupremacythings
- aka-katniss reblogged this from only-a-story
- aka-katniss likes this
- loveisanidea likes this
- racefortheironthrone likes this
- thecreepingbanana reblogged this from left-side-of-cecils-tattoo
- inthisworldonlywinteriscertain reblogged this from wilwheaton
- only-a-story reblogged this from giants-fall
- only-a-story likes this
- paleandwanton reblogged this from sharpegirl
- sevensteaksofpurgatory reblogged this from gaapsama
- gaapsama reblogged this from queerasymir
- demi-dinosaur123 reblogged this from giants-fall
- demi-dinosaur123 likes this
- thecreepingbanana likes this
- basicallyligia likes this
- serfbort-serfbort reblogged this from giants-fall
- giants-fall reblogged this from overturetoillumination
- nicolascagesmuffins likes this
- sarahgoggles reblogged this from luceattraversolamore
- brainpickings reblogged this from poetryfloetry
- r-emorse likes this
- withdaisiesinyourhair reblogged this from nocturnematador
- queerasymir reblogged this from squidmaid
- hopelesshopefulromantic likes this
- hopelesshopefulromantic reblogged this from shotgunsandtardis
- ianewin likes this
- homoconditioner reblogged this from nicolewentmissing
- distractmymind likes this
- shotgunsandtardis reblogged this from qcumbershaw
- theworldseesperfection likes this
- qcumbershaw reblogged this from carnivaloftherandom
- qcumbershaw likes this
- parzival221 likes this