I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- crazedadri likes this
- simmifluous likes this
- thisischloeumlauts likes this
- annissasdickwhiskers reblogged this from youstillhavehope
- 24hoursinaday reblogged this from curtainsofstars
- itranscendtoyou likes this
- law-and-hoarder likes this
- youstillhavehope reblogged this from seanbeanisaredshirt
- ruthrobeline reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- seanbeanisaredshirt reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- seanbeanisaredshirt likes this
- aloverinadangeroustime reblogged this from big-fat-sex-blog
- kitty-girl-31 reblogged this from phoenix-1721
- hidingintheirdorms likes this
- twizzlinguniverse reblogged this from pro-choiceproblems
- omniscientjordan likes this
- beastandthecharlotte reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- everywherestartshere likes this
- amrin-badger likes this
- mybffxlb reblogged this from misandry-mermaid
- jecca89 reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- dragonscrush reblogged this from jenny-1981
- love-is-justaword likes this
- coollylly likes this
- ambivalentnarwhal reblogged this from mutanteen
- caphector likes this
- jazmineroberts likes this
- storyofmylifebabe reblogged this from thirteensidestoeverystory
- the-emerald-kitty likes this
- moonlitramblings reblogged this from ficklefandoms
- just-my-passing-thoughts reblogged this from emilyyaksitout
- emilyyaksitout reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- obsessedwithluv likes this
- freebreathingmoon reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- queen-rose-red likes this
- ficklefandoms reblogged this from booksomewench
- cuts-on-cuts likes this
- cuts-on-cuts reblogged this from calllme-crazy
- ambivalentnarwhal likes this
- mutanteen reblogged this from darkthestars
- stabthesoup reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- howltothemoon23 likes this
- mazesprinter likes this
- 23thluver likes this
- buttercupandwesley likes this
- lovineverythingican likes this
- whiteelephantintheroom likes this
- longwhite reblogged this from thirteensidestoeverystory
- lillie-vanilli reblogged this from effinmajestic