I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- standing-up-we-are likes this
- exactlylikeaneclecticfeel reblogged this from usagis-roses
- jamwill96 likes this
- isabelleliqtwood reblogged this from likethebrimofahat
- plutoflowers likes this
- eni-tine reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- eni-tine likes this
- scienceisthegreatest reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- friendly-potato reblogged this from supercasinthetardis
- friendly-potato likes this
- purplevinedrose likes this
- fghjklmm likes this
- fit-clean-healthy likes this
- tortured-soul-of-an-angel reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- opinions-about-things reblogged this from strawberryspoop
- childofstarlight likes this
- thecoyotecarnal reblogged this from sparkleinfestation
- my-foolish-behavior likes this
- mischievousnixies reblogged this from sparkleinfestation
- hanna-gyan reblogged this from sparkleinfestation
- disa likes this
- sparkleinfestation reblogged this from lordfuckwadoffuckington
- smilebabycake reblogged this from lordfuckwadoffuckington
- lordfuckwadoffuckington reblogged this from onjailshelp
- de-constructmybones reblogged this from onjailshelp
- de-constructmybones likes this
- complementarynature likes this
- onjailshelp reblogged this from zikkiniki
- cancerbats reblogged this from isabellatrix
- sabbyariffin likes this
- tiffsbigadventure reblogged this from ahsokatano23
- tiffsbigadventure likes this
- ahsokatano23 reblogged this from whimsicalapothecary
- mhed98 likes this
- tumblrstumblebuttheydontfalldown reblogged this from somanysparrows
- roobei reblogged this from bebettr
- bebettr reblogged this from hollyandvice
- imthecoathangerinyourmansvagina likes this
- witchmorwen likes this
- flowertriplesix likes this
- dandelion-bee likes this
- ka-t-r-i-n-a reblogged this from housewifeswag
- maggie204 reblogged this from zikkiniki
- onjailshelp likes this
- zikkiniki reblogged this from gelopanda
- laydibluez reblogged this from somanysparrows
- somanysparrows reblogged this from fakeshapes
- somanysparrows likes this
- fakeshapes reblogged this from wilwheaton
- jubilovely reblogged this from proudly-pro-choice